[Zope-PTK] More bugs ...

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:37:13 -0500

On Friday 16 March 2001 14:05, you wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2001 09:27:54 -0500, Dan L. Pierson wrote:
> > The Dublin Core defines Subject to be a set of keywords.  Of course this
>
> I use topics to provide organization to the site. I have "Site Help"
> "Site News", and "Site Info". I make three Topics, each as Subject
> Values respectively. Now, when I create a document, I want to use the
> subject field to indicate "Site help", "Site Info, and "Site News".
> Bzzt, wrong. Won't work (most of the time).
>
> Now, as you say, the DC defines a subject differently then the rest of
> the world. However, that doe snto change the fact that users will not
> understand that difference, as well as the fact that that eliminateds
> much of the usefulness of the tools. CMF Topics search for Subject using
> phrases,not keywords (that's how this becaome apparent). For example, if
> you provide a site help dociument with Site and Help, and then define a
> CMF Topic as Site Help, you will _not_ see your document. For a live
> example, visit http://www.libc.org.
>
> So, if we don;t want to muck with the (broken) DC definition of a

I've looked at the Dublin Core documents and find them generally weak for
describing information useful in business.  It appears to have an origin in
library science.  That may be fine for cataloging books and articles, but it
is close to useless when managing content such as people information, or
product definition information.  Is there something I'm missing in the DC
that addresses a wider range of content types?