[Zope-CMF] Re: member permissions

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:57:42 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Muhammad Jahanzeb wrote:

> I am terribly sorry that I am disturbing you again. But there
> is something which is quite bothering me. When I assign a user
> as 'member' in the zope management interface from the user
> folder in the CMF site, he does not enjoy all the benefits e.g.
> he cannot add anything and the only options he does have on the
> left are Preferences Logout Undo
>
> On the other hand, if a person joins the portal from the web,
> i.e. from the Join in form, he has all the other options
> including 'My Stuff', 'Add to Favourites', 'Folder Contents'.
>
> Is there exist any real distinction between a manager assigned
> 'member' and the join in 'member', or am I having some problem,
> plus what if I dont want everyone to see or join the portal.

The "My Stuff" and "Add to Favorites" options depend on having
a "home" folder (inside "/Members" by default) into which the
member's "stuff" is stored.  "Folder Contents" is visible only
in folders where the member has additional privilieges (actually,
the "Access contents information" permission).  This folder is
typically created for the member on joining.  You can cause the
'portal_membership' tool to create this folder by toggling its
"folder creation" state on its main view in the Zope management
interface.

> Terribly sorry again for disturbing you but still waiting
> impatiently for your reply.

Your chances of getting a helpful reply sooner will be improved
if you will CC the mailing list on such questions (as I note you
did on another message).

Tres.