[Zope-CMF] Should DefaultWorkflow be in CMFCore?

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:58:05 -0500

Lucas Hofman wrote:

> Shane, Tres,
>
> Would you mind to explain a little about the design of the WorkflowTool.
> Especially the innards of the methods in workflowCore are black magic to
> me.

I'm still coming up to speed on them myself.  Shane would probably have
answered by now, but he is busy bringing home wife and new baby ("...and
the crowd goes wild!")  Congratulations to Shane, and welcome to the
newest Zopatista!

> I wonder if DefaultWorklfow, and maybe also workflowTool should reside
> in CMFDefault. This because they are only relevant for the Default
> implementation, and need changing for nearly every possible
> implementation of CMF

This is an excellent point.  We will look at moving the "non-core" bits
out to CMFDefault it for 1.1.

>. I found that it was easiest not to subclass
> DefaultWorkflow but copy it and change it to include the new roles I
> created and the transitions I wanted.

That isn't a bad strategy, actually.  Inheritance couples the two
pretty strongly;  if you are overriding a significant portion of the
methods anyway, it doesn't buy you enough convenience to make it worth
the trouble.

> But maybe I do not completely understand how the code provide is ment to
> be used....

I'll let Shane tackle that one, maybe during one of the 3:00 AM
feedings.