[Zope-CMF] how to distribute CMF components?

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
9 May 2001 18:04:31 GMT

On 9 May 2001 12:20:01 -0500, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Suddenly there are quite a few CMF add-ons popping up, something I
> didn't expect yet.  This is a good thing, but to support so many add-ons
> the CMF really ought to provide a standard way to plug in add-ons.
> Right now add-ons are supposed to have a fake constructor that installs
> skins, types, and whatever else.  I suspect this method will always
> work, but like you, I'd like to see us come up with a better way.

The number of add-ons, I think, is because the CMF is rapidly
becoming both easier and clearer to provide add-ons to. The source
and web-management are both becoming a lot easier to grok. Please
don't stop improving on this for now though - I still have to
hand-install some aspects of my products because I haven't quite
figured out the entire automatic installation process from a separate
Product directory.

While being able to create and manage site objects through-the-web
is fabulous, core objects are still likely to be easier to maintain
(and often create) through the filesystem.  You know this to be
true or there wouldn't be filesystem views. :^)