[Zope-CMF] is there an event content in the works

Chris Beaumont cbeaumon@msri.org
Wed, 16 May 2001 09:24:37 -0700

Hello,

(blushing and a bit shy to make this reply.. but it came to me and I
think its a good idea so what the hell)

	Let me be the devils advocate and advocate some pragmatic
development of something that perhaps could be a BIG selling point
for Zope in the greater Net community..

   Why not build a CMF module that had some standardized hooks to an
SQL database,  or better yet, develop a Zope-wide standard for using
plug-in SQL functionality at isolated places like this where they
would save a lot of work in Zope?

(not unlike the concepts of using databases for ZODB 'storage' or the
way several products work now..but this hasn't really become
standardized.)

I have been building a event announcement/display and calendaring
system for my employer, MSRI, using a hybrid Zope/Oracle 7
combination, and as we know, the combination of Zope (with
dtml-sendmail) and an SQL backend is an almost unbeatable one.

There is no denying that it *excels* in dealing with (searching, etc)
situations like searching and storing large amounts of frequently
changing datetime data.

Why not create and standardize an SQL-centric add-on like this..so
that people could develop Zope products for it?

Adding a method of installing a Postgres instance, say, into Zope
with a simple installer script similar to the current Zope binary
install would make this unbeatable combo very, very easy to work with
(i.e. some standard functionality add-ons could be built simply) and
fun to boot..

  Right now the variations of SQL syntax may intimidate some of the
newcomers, but if there was a standard (i.e. 'plug-in') way to
integrate them, I think that would be a VERY big plus for Zope as
well.

And it would let everyone start cooperating on some *really* cool
Zope add-ons that could take the whole thing to another level, I
think..

Just my (admittedly newbie) thoughts on this idea..

Chris