[Zope-CMF] A bit of a glitch with FTP PUT

Jonathan Corbet corbet-cmf@lwn.net
Fri, 18 May 2001 17:05:55 -0600

I've been hacking on my own variant of PortalFolder, setting it up to be
smarter about creating items uploaded by FTP.  It all pretty well works,
actually.  I may have a deployable (or deplorable) "LWN daily" sort of site
soon.

Some time, however, went into tracking down one little problem.  I've also
created my own workflow to reflect how we do things.  It's not too
different, but, for example, "LWN News" items start out in a "pending"
state.  We don't make news entries we don't plan to publish.

Things uploaded by FTP, however, start out in the "private" state.  I've
finally figured out why: when all of the new item's workflow actions are
being called, it hasn't yet been entered into its place in the folder
hierarchy.  So the WorkflowAction instances can not find the workflow tool,
and the workflow doesn't get informed of what's going on.

I can work around this, but, to me, a proper solution is non-obvious.  It
would be nice if FTP uploads that create items didn't circumvent the
workflow mechanism.  Something for somebody's list, maybe...

Hmm...looks like beer time,

jon

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net