[Zope-CMF] Sneak preview - workflow

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 11:53:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 May 2001, seb bacon wrote:

> On the one hand:
> > OSS is no longer an experiment for us.  It has been proven to work.
>
> On the other:
> > Essentially we intend to use CMF as the basis for most consulting
> > engagements.  In fact, that's what drove the creation of CMF.
>
> So, how do you decide what to keep to yourselves?  Is there any kind
> of standard or is the decision ad hoc?

In consulting engagements, we encourage clients to allow us to open source
the work we do for them.  Sometimes they don't allow it.

I think it's fair to say that we want to open source everything we do.
But sometimes we have something unusual like ZEO and we have to weigh open
vs. closed again.  Every business has to constantly reevaluate their
standing decisions.

> Has the fact that you don't release all your code been proven to work,
> too?

Before Zope was open sourced, DC was making money from its ancestors.  But
I don't have any other examples to cite.

> I'd be interested to know how many resuable product components DC have
> developed which they haven't released, if you are able to tell us.  I
> imagine they include things like PDF documents, Word Documents, etc,
> things which the community have developed independently?

There are a few projects which haven't been made public yet simply because
of the situation with CVS.  See
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZopeCVSMigration/FrontPage
and contribute if you can.

> I think it's probably important in the interests of good communication
> to make decisions like these as understandable as possible.  And as
> simple to make as possible.

I agree.  DC is trying hard to open up not only the development process
but also the decision making process with dev.zope.org.

Shane