[Zope-CMF] SharePoint Portal Server from Micro$oft

Adam Davis adam@digicool.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 12:00:34 -0700

FWIW, I see this slightly differently:

I agree with point 2 insofar as we are much more likely to get a
quick-to-market, functional product if the Zope/CMF community is rallied
around common tool/document adapters rather than depending on Adobe et al.
for same.

However, all the engineering in the world won't necessarily fix the
'problem' that market-share comes out of partnerships with folks like Adobe.
To the purchaser for an IT department, it might not make a difference that
Zope slices, dices, and rices Adobe's entire library of files (and can be
yours for the low, low price of free!) if Photoshop ships with a sticker
reading "Interfaces with Microsoft SharePoint Server" and mentions nothing
of Zope. What I'm getting at w/r/t Chris's point (1) is that Zope
integration with eg Adobe will carry _a lot_ more weight if Adobe endorses
it.

DC has made some small steps toward creating some ties with client tool
companies like Adobe, including appearing at the Adobe partner pavilion at
the Seybold show in Boston in April.

With the caveat that I don't make the decisions around here ;), I would
suggest that if the community has the strong desire to keep MS at bay in
this space and the willingness to work on some of the engineering details,
DC could potentially provide the corporate 'clout' that makes for
partnership opportunities.

-Adam