[Zope-CMF] Skin Questions

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 23:26:01 +0100

> > So, my questions are:
> >
> > 1. How do I 'set' the skin for each user in this way?
>

> You replace the tool with one which implements its interface according to
> your policy.

Wow, that seems a little heavy handed for such a small change.

Seb Bacon suggested:
> You could just set up
> the skin property on the Memberdata and hide the user interface for
> changing skins from the members.

...which seems simpler to me, would it work?

<snip 'folder structure in skin layers'>
> I played briefly with this as a way to "unmangle" the type name from the
> names
> of skin methods.  It half works, but the longer you interact with it,
> the weirder
> the URLs get.

How come?

> If all you want is to look up "pieces" of pages, rather
> than use
> the methods in the sub-layers as full-blown page-rendering methods of
> content
> objects, then it might work (caveat utilor).

hehe, while my mother was a Latin teacher, I never picked any of it up, what
does 'caveat utilor' mean?

Anyway, I tried out the idea of folders in layers, and it worked as
expected, didn't notice any wierd URLs.

However, now I'd like the documents in those layers to be manageable like
normal CMF content. I know this isn't currently possible, but I was
wondering why and whether it's a case of "no-one's wanted to do that yet" or
"the world will come crashing down around your ears if you try to do that,
so don't".

Ewww... how come? Could the results be cached?

>  Why not
> move the
> skin methods to the filesystem, instead, and just "mount" them multiply
from
> there?

Hmmm... good idea, but I think the folders in question need to be TTW
manageable...

cheers,

Chris