[Zope-CMF] Importing members from another source

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 21:44:58 +0100

Norman Khine writes:
 > I have a database of ~40K members which is held on mysql. Which would be the
 > route to:
 >
 > 1. make those users member of the cmf portal.
 > 2. for each member create an index page, that is owned by that user.
 > 3. generate the list of e-mails, username and password within cmf.
 > 4. bulk email these newly created members, informing them of their portal
 > entry.
I would be very reluctant to put that many objects in a standard
folder. Before you do, you should make a little test:

	Create a folder with about 50K subfolders.
	Check how Zope behaves when you enter one of the subfolders
	after you flushed Zope's cache.

I would feel much better, when I had an adapted PortalFolder,
derived from BTreeFolder rather than the standard folder.
It should cope much better with thousands of elements.
Nevertheless management might be a nightmare (when you
look at the folder in the management interface, as the
display is not yet batched).

Dieter