[Zope-CMF] Project-style workflows, DCWorkflow, SQL, etc.

Ulrich Eck ueck@net-labs.de
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:21:50 +0200

Hello

I just want to jump into the Workflow Discussion.

I had many thoughts on how to integrate an Activity-based Workflow
into the CMF smoothly too, without a perfect solution yet.

As far as I can see right now, it would be good to create a new tool
e.g. portal-activity/portal-task or whatever it will be called.

This tool holds different process-definitions and is based on the
portal-worklfow-tool (optimally the interface could be used
without major modifications).

I see the activity-tool as a coordinator for Application-objects
that internally use the portal-workflow (DCWorkflow/hardcoded ...).

The activity-tool leads the participant to the application/task which
is finished when it reaches a certain state. Then transitions defined
in the activity-tool can be made (manually/automatically).

Worklists can be used to determine which activities are open depending
on the participants information of a ProcessDefinition.

A participant can be a person/group/machine.

Does this alltogether make sense ??

I'm talking with Vinzenco Di Somma, who's working on OpenFlow, about
these issues as well and perhaps we could bundle our interests and capacity
into a shared project.

I still like the wf-mc concept (www.wfmc.org), cause it covers a fairly
complete specification of a Actifity/Task-Workflow. This is why I'm
interested to bring in the work of Vinzenco into the new CMF-Workflow
we're working on.

For me it's beyond my imagination to create use-cases for all possible
usages of an Activity-based Workflow, but every example that
came to my little brain, could be solved with this solution.

> >How is WarpCore doing? Been too busy to keep up with it.
>
> I've been too busy to work on TransWarp much lately.  WarpCORE has long ago
> been in production use as a base schema for our Sybase application
> databases, however, and Ty has made prototype versions of the WarpCORE
> kernel schema for Firebird/Interbase and PostgreSQL.  I've also begun a
> draft of documentation for the WarpCORE design patterns and kernel, but
> have no schedule for completing it.

1. What exactly is WARPCore?
2. Is there some code that I could see to find out what it does ?? I'm searching
for a Relational<->Object Binding and would contribute a shema for
SAP-DB if possible.

thanks for your answers

Ulrich Eck
net-labs Systemhaus GmbH