[Zope-CMF] Compound elements

Erik Lange erik@mmmanager.org
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:39:19 +0200

Hi :)

Jon, is what you're looking for not this; a way to incorporate compound
documents in a new compositions, without re-composing the components in the
originally compound documents ?

I know this sounds more like an alcohol-test than anything else, so I can
imagine if it's been hard to explain... I take this quite seriously
though... correct me if I've misunderstood your quest ;-)

Working with multimeidia, our composited documents are e.g. a movie
masterfile with burned-in sub-titles. Now, if we can include textfiles with
various langauge-versions of the subtitles, along with such a masterfile, we
can let the user select his or her preffered subtitling langauge (This is a
well known technique in DVD-authoring)... BUT - we want the movie's internal
"skin-selection" to be seperated from whatever control the viewer might have
or not, over the "Cinema" where the movie is presented to the user.

I believe this scenario can be transferred directly to written documents,
were an author might want to present his work in a certain way, as well as
it gets wrapped in a portals header/footer/(STYLE)...

For media content we're at the moment looking at Advanced Authoring Format
(AAF) but I would like to hear if anybody else have other ideas or knows of
other formats/techniques that solves this.

Introduction to AAF - IMHO even if you're not into media, the concept is
fascinating:
http://industryclick.com/magazinearticle.asp?magazineid=127&releaseid=8591&m
agazinearticleid=121669&SiteID=15

Greetings,