[Zope-CMF] Discussion item reply using plain text rather than structured text

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:31:50 -0400

> From: "Richard Ettema" <richard.ettema@yoursolutions.co.uk>
>
> I would like to give the user the ability to submit a discussion as plain
> text or structured text rather than being stuck with using stx.

<rant>

Actually, now that I'm actively using a CMF site I put up, I'm looking at
adding the 'plain text' option everywhere you can use text:  News, Document,
Discussion reply (which is a document), Calendar item, etc.

The reason is, for example, if you get an email from someone and want to
post it as news - what a pain to have to reformat the line breaks manually
with <p>'s or <br>'s.  For most things, I'm finding that the page is
formatted, and that the text of the document or news is basically a bunch of
paragraphs, nothing too fancy.  So plain text works great in that context.

Of course, if Structured Text worked a bit better, it would be able to
directly render plain text almost WSYWIG - the main flaw being the
requirement of a double <CR> to break a paragraph.

</rant>...