[Zope-CMF] ZVMF vs. MSCMS

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 18:47:54 +0200

Hi!

Just some additional comments where I had some ...

> 1) In-Context Authoring Templates
> Allow content contributors to build and contribute richly formatted
content
> in easy-to-use templates without leaving the Web site.
>
> check. but the "richly formatted" is still in the works I guess

With IEMethods and the like this is not a problem ...

> 2) Real-Time Content Updates
> Enable content contributors to publish content directly onto development,
> staging or live production Web servers.
>
> check - although I've never tried Zopes versioning feature.

Both versioning and the different approach the CMF goes (cataloging content
as "published" as soon as it is reviewed and approved) work fine, though
there are some scenarios that can become complicated: E.g. what about having
multiple versions of a document in the pipe? Versions wouldn't do that
because they will block having another version on the same document and the
CMF mechanism can't easily do this either.

> 3) Revision Tracking and Page Archiving
> As pages are updated, existing versions are automatically archived. Users
can
> easily compare changes of previous work with existing pages.
>
> I think the undo mechanism is great but it's not quite the same.

But the HISTORY is ...

> 4) Flexible Workflow
> Multiple levels of approval ensure that content is always reviewed and
> approved before it goes live on the Web site.
>
> check

Yes. The CMF can probably be very flexible with the new DC workflow.

> 5) Content Scheduling
> Using automated scheduling tools, users can schedule content publication
and
> archival times.
>
> check

Though there are no ready-to-use tools in Zope for that ...

> 17) UNICODE Support
> Support for multi-byte character sets means sites can be built in any of
the
> world's major languages.
>
> Guess this is supported? Input?

Don't know about the details, but at least with the UNICODE patches that are
available this should be no problem ...

> 18) Language-Specific Content Targeting
> Allow content contributors to target localized content objects to specific
> users based on individual language preferences.
>
> Whats the status on this?

Nothing official from ZC, but with ZBabel and Localizer (both a bit immature
but powerful) you can do great multi-language sites

> 19) Multilingual Site Support
> Support for multiple languages within single Web sites.
>
> see 18

> 20) Quick Installation
> Content Management Server installs easily through simple installation
wizards.

> well - I prefer tar balls :-)

And on Windows we have a super-simple setup.exe program ...

> 21) Sample Templates and Web Sites
> Sample templates, Web sites, and customization code are all included in
the
> box.
>
> check

But more samples couldn't hurt ...

> 23) Template and Resource Galleries
> Templates and Web site resources are managed centrally on the server
through
> Template Galleries and Resource Galleries to ensure centralized control
over
> corporate publishing and design standards.
>
> check: Portal tools

Is that really what MS is talking about?

> 26) Windows Active Directory Services (ADS)
> Use existing ADS and NT Domain directory services for security.
>
> check:  LoginManager etc (don't know about ADS - does anybody use it at
all?)

ADS = LDAP = supported by Zope ...

> 27) XML
> Templates that publish content in XML format can easily be built.
>
> check

> Conclusion: All in all I think ZCMF is pretty nice in the lead technology
> wise. What the management types miss is simply the shrinkwrap and an
> all-in-one package...

I'd not be THAT positive, but considering the price tag and a couple of
rather unique features (like the ZODB and all the power Python gives Zope),
Zope has a very good position. I just fear that Microsoft is going to
copy@paste even more features from Zope ...

Joachim