[Zope-CMF] Creating custom content....

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 07:45:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Rustad, Aaron wrote:

> I am hoping to create (what I believe would be) custom content. I need to
> develop a standard form(template) to input information and I would like the
> data to be maintained within CMF.
>
> Am I right in my assumption that I need to make a custom content type
> similar to what I have found in Document.py and PortalFolder.py..etc?  I
> have worked with other content management systems that allow data entry via
> forms, and they maintain that data in XML, then through XSLT or other means,
> the data is presented.
>
> What is the best way to achieve this with Zope/CMF.

There are three main ways to create new content types in the CMF:

  - Create a new type object which uses the same underlying class
    as one of the "stock" CMF types, but varies the skin, metadata
    policies, workflow, etc.

    o http://cmf.zope.org/Members/tseaver/how_tos/taming_types_tool

  - Create a ZClass, and register a type object for it:

    o http://cmf.zope.org/Members/tseaver/how_tos/faq_howto

    o http://cmf.zope.org/Members/davew/PortalStuff/PortalPollTutorial

  - Create a filesystem-based Python product, and register a type
    object for it.  The CMFCalendar product, which is included in
    the CVS checkout of the CMF, is the "canonical" example for
    this.

    o http://cmf.zope.org/Members/andrew/projects/CMFCalendar/index

See also:

  http://cmf.zope.org/doc/devel/content_devel_guide/zclass_vs_filesystem