[Zope-CMF] Incompatibities between CMF and ZMC

Bill Anderson bill@immosys.com
25 Sep 2001 12:28:27 -0600

Hello Loren, sorry for the delay, been really busy around here.

On Thu, 2001-09-20 at 19:05, Loren Stafford wrote:
> Some time ago I installed CMF version 1.0 in a Zope 2.3.2 system that was
> already using ZMC version 0.7.8. I was both pleased and amazed to find that
> CMF automatically and correctly authenticated thru the ZMC. I really don't
> understand how it works, but I'm happy it does.

I was initially pleased as well. Then ..

> However, I'm finding that there are a few incompatibilites. When joining
> (and perhaps also when changing passwords, I'm not sure), CMF doesn't seem
> to properly inherit methods from ZMC and so tries to do things its own way.
> For example, a new user that joins with the CMF interface does not receive
> his password by email, whereas, if he joins with the ZMC interface, he
> correctly receives his password by email.
>
> Are these incompatibilies what Bill Anderson was refering to when he said
> ZMC didn't work with Zope 2.3.2?

This in particular is due to the CMF's use of skins. It uses it's own
methods for authorization, joining, and logging in, and those need to be
replaced with the ones from ZMC (which is running at 1.0 now, btw). This
is what I did, and it worked fine. I did this in the custom skin.

> Can anyone till me where to look to fix these incompatibilities?
>
> Is upgrading to later versions of the products the only known fix? What is
> the best combination of versions of Zope, ZMC, and CMF to upgrade to at this
> time?

So far, IIRC, CMF 1.x, ZMC 1.0, and Zope 2.3.1 or 2.3.3. I will be
looking at 2.4.x with ZMC soon. Right now I am finishing up an
authorization/data/service network, and writing a Zope Authenticator for
it.

HTH,
Bill Anderson