[Zope-CMF] Combining CMF and shopping?

Nolan Darilek nolan_d@bigfoot.com
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 14:47:50 -0500

This is probably the oddest use of CMF, but I'm wondering if it'd be
possible without having to delve into the python code, or if I should
wait until the CMF is a bit more customizable.

I'm looking at deploying the CMF alongside EMarket or some other
shopping product. I'm envisioning CMF as a tool which will enable less
web-literate content designers to avoid DTML and, using structured
text, HTML if desired. Also, the CMF could be used for site news,
discussions if we later choose to add them, etc.

But for users, many of the management aspects of the CMF should
vanish. A manager can log in and view a CMF interface very similar to
the current version. But for users, the "My stuff" link is replaced
with a "My account" button which, when clicked on, brings up the
members/blah page. If the user isn't logged in, then the login page
appears instead, and the member's default page displays a list of
items ordered, for sale, etc. and perhaps replies to any
questions/posted discussion topics. The site will be primarily an
auction site, so having a default member page which can be bookmarked
and returned to would be extremely convenient.

I'm curious to know if anyone has done something like this before and,
if so, how I should go about mixing these products? Should I create
separate EMarket/CMM sites and copy everything from the EMarket site
into the CMF folder? Or should I create the EMarket site from within
the CMF site and use acquisition? I glanced briefly through the
various skins, but I'm not entirely sure where I would modify what
appears after clicking on the "My stuff" link; could anyone offer any
pointers? What if I wanted to collect additional information on users
upon registration (preferred shipping address, etc.) and store them
for convenience?

TIA