[Zope-CMF] Types, meta_type, content_meta_type, etc...

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 23:32:11 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:
> Florent Guillaume wrote:
>>DublinCore's Type is presentation.
>>

> ..no it's not. DublinCore's Type is exactly the same as the CMF content type. I
> don't see any reason for them to be different ;-)

I think I'm late in this thread, but I'm inclined to agree with Florent.
  I've learned from recent customer work that DC "Type" has a meaning in
people's minds that doesn't necessarily correspond with CMF's definition.

For this customer we built an "article" class and provided an "article"
TypeInformation object.  But when they searched for articles, they
wanted the "Type" to be "research report", "news release", "column",
etc.  As their business changed, they wanted to be able to change the
available types.  They would always choose the type from a list, but it
should be easy to change the type of an existing object and changing an
object's type shouldn't change its behavior.

 From an object-oriented perspective, that's all heresy.  But it's the
Real World. :-)  I think I've learned that Dublin Core is not designed
to be rigid or applied in a rigid way.

CMF's ability to map objects to different application functionality
based on a simple, flexible attribute is very useful, of course.  But it
would appear that that capability should not be mixed with Dublin Core,
or at least not as deeply as it is now.

For our customer we had to make up a new field, internally representing
the field under one name while displaying it as another.  It worked
fine, but it's not ideal.

Shane