[Zope-CMF] Types, meta_type, content_meta_type, etc...

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:59:02 -0400

seb bacon wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 15:08, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>seb bacon wrote:
>>
>>>For me, the biggest problem has always been this:
>>>
>>>1) Type can come from two different sources, which leads to unexpected
>>>effects
>>>2) The Type is labelled 'Title' in the UI, which is misleading
>>>
>>>I think there should be a 'Type' field separate from the 'Title' field,
>>>and the Title can be treated as UI and the Type as application logic.
>>>
>>Actually, (IMHO) the "Type" of a TypeInformation object should be set to
>>something like "Type Information", since there could potentially be
>>metadata about a type information object.  You almost wouldn't want it
>>to be configurable in the UI.
>>

> Shouldn't that be the "meta_type" of the TypeInformation object?!
>
> Then we'd have a TypeInformation with a meta_type of "Type Information",
> a title of "Some UI-friendly string", and a Type of "NameOfTheType"?

No.  I really meant that FactoryTypeInformation.Type() would normally
return a string like "Type Information".  It might correspond with the
meta_type, but not necessarily.  meta_type has a different meaning--like
Florent said, Type is presentation, while meta_type is application
logic.  Most likely, nothing would ever call TypeInformation.Type(),
since CMF doesn't provide a way to manage types as CMF content.  (And
I'm not sure it needs to. :-) )

The title of a TypeInformation should often match its Zope ID (but only
in English).  The title of a TypeInformation might be used to prefill
the Type field of new instances.

Shane