[Zope-CMF] Q) Using STI method vs building Python based product

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
06 Aug 2002 10:27:17 -0400

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 09:01, Jeffrey Franks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created a specialized portal_type
> using 'Scriptable Type Information' (STI) type object.
> It is supported by python scripts for view, edit, etc., and
> a properties page. Now, a number of usage questions
> come up.
>
> 1) How do I distribute this to multiple sites?

Ugh.  Write a PythonScript which sets up the typeinfo, and keep it in
the same skin folder.   Export the folder, then import it into the skins
tool of the new site.  Run the setup script.

> 2) Is there a way to instance the above aggregate so
>    that it is more 'like a product' that can be instanced
>    multiple time throughout the site?

A lot of the "package management" thinking for Zope3 was driven by this
exact problem;  the CMF does not make it simple to find / bundle all the
pieces associated with a customized type.

> 3) What forces are involved in the design decision for
>    choosing the STI method versus building a python
>    based product?

The need to redistribute your solution would pretty much tip the balance
for me toward implementing a filesystem product;  TTW solutions don't
redistribute well at all.

Tres.