[Zope-CMF] User Specific Sites?

Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:24:34 -0700

This is what the CMF portal_skins tool does for you.  You set an 'access
rule' script in the root of your CMF site.  Search archives for this list
for access rule and read the docs on the skins tool on cmf.zope.org.  I
should recommend that a custom UI for different groups is not
in-and-of-itself a very tight security mechanism, but it is useful as a
mechanism for providing different groups of users different views.

The 'access rule' can use a TTW Python script to lookup what roles a user
has, and based upon that information, present them with one given skin or
another; the skins tool looks at a variable for the skin name set by the
access rule on every HTTP request and delivers the requested
page/template/method within that skin.

Also, aside from that, if you are creating and extranet site and are
concerned about security, when deploying a Zope solution, consider putting
Squid in front of Zope's ZServer HTTP server, and configure Squid ACLs to
prohibit certain types of HTTP requests for the UI URL name patterns
(regexes) you would classify as "private."  In addition to Zope's built-in
security machinery, this could be used as a mechanism for keeping people
from not accessing unauthorized skins.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Learned [mailto:learned@talentsinc.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 12:56 PM
To: zope-cmf@zope.org
Subject: [Zope-CMF] User Specific Sites?

I'm evaluating ZOPE with CMF as a tool for creating an
extranet site. Based on who is accessing the site, we
would like to alter the content that is displayed. In
a majority of cases, this will be merely restricting,
or making available sections of the site. In looking
at the acl_list security options, it looks like I
could do this on an individual basis. Is there anyway
that I could implement the equivilent of group level
security so I could restrict/allow an entire department
for example?