[Zope-CMF] Understanding the Virtual Host Monster tool

george donnelly george@zettai.net
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:11:43 -0500

so first of all i assume you have zope setup to run on port 8080. the
default one for the net is 80. This is something you can not change using
the VHM.

What the VHM can do is take mydomain.com and map it to /mydomain
(representing a folder-ish object in the root of your zope), so that when
someone goes to mydomain.com:8080 they see the index_html located in
/mydomain, instead of using the "real" URL which might be
my.ip.num.ber:8080/mydomain/index_html

But in order to get this stuff to show up at mydomain.com:80 (or simply
mydomain.com) you need to either modify zope's start script to run on port
80 (less than ideal) or get apache to run on port 80 and proxy pass zope in.
see zope.org for instructions.

regards,
george donnelly
http://zettai.net/
zettai: zope hosting and dynamic websites