[Zope-CMF] Howto use CMFStaging?

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:53:09 -0400 (EDT)

On 16 Aug 2002, Tim Hoffman wrote:

> In the current cmf, I can
>
> 1. create content
> 2. submit content for review
> 3. review content either approving, or rejecting it.
> (and obviously create other workflow variations)
>
> and now I have published content. I have to then be able to
> allow a content author to edit the published document, b currently I
> must force a retract, so that the publishing process is
> then revisited for every change (other wise someone could make
> undesirable changes). But this then means the old (approved version) of
> the document is no longer visible
>
> What I want to achieve is to allow the content author to edit the
> published document, but with some form of version control/locking
> which means when the published document is edited, a new version is
> created which is automatically retracted, leaving the previous version
> still published and accessible.
>
> Once the new unpublished version is approved, it becomes the new
> published visible incarnation of the document.
>
> I have no idea if CMFStaging could be used to implement such a process.

Yes, those are essentially the design goals of CMFStaging.  It provides a
way to do all that.  In fact, once it was created, I realized that what a
lot of people are looking for in "workflow" is better described as
locking, versioning, and staging, than simply the access control that
DCWorkflow provides.

> If you think this could be done, I am quite willing to build, and
> document as a tutorial the required steps, code etc....
>
> I may need some help though.
>
> Is this requirement even feasible. I have to embark on such a solution
> and if I can utilise CMFStaging all the better.

I'm eager to help!  I just need a way to help efficiently. :-)

Shane