[Zope-CMF] Need help understanding portal_actions tool and interfaces thereto

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
20 Aug 2002 12:41:23 -0400

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 16:21, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Phil Glaser writes:
>  > I need to do some fairly extensive customization of CMF/Plone and am trying
>  > to understand what the portal_actions tool is and how it works.
> It asks a (configurable) set of "Action providers" (see the corresponding
> tab) for actions applicable in the current context.
> It is itself an action provider. It provides the actions, you
> define in its "Actions" tab.
>
> It exposes the actions collected via an API documented in the
> online help (I think, at least).
>
>  > ...
>  > For example, the "local roles" action in the "my
>  > stuff" contentTabs menu is not listed in the portal_actions tool. "Action
>  > providers" make no sense to me.
> That's very sad. It would help you to understand where the "local roles"
> action comes from:
>
>   An action provider is simply an object implementing the "action provider"
>   inferface. Via this interface, the ActionsTool can ask the
>   object which actions are available.
>
>   Examples of action providers are: the WorkflowTool (it provides
>   the workflow actions), the MembershipTool (it provides the
>   "login/logout" actions), the RegistrationTool (it provides the
>   "join" action), ....
>
> I do not know which tool provides the "local roles" action.
> If necessary, search the sources.

Just cleaning up my zope-cmf folder, so apologies if this one has been
answered already.  The "Local roles" action is defined on the Folder
type object inside 'portal_types'.

Tres.