[Zope-CMF] Are there scaling issues with the Catalog?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 08:58:55 +0200

J C Lawrence writes:
 > How well does the Catalog scale?
 >
 > I'm looking to inject/index ~200,000 documents of average size 2K to
 > start out, with an average growth rate of around 1,500 new documents
 > each month.
I would not go this route:

  We have a moderately large catalog (a few thousand objects,
  each a few kb big). While search speed and incremental indexing
  (for new/changed objects) is satisfactory, our availability check
  restarted Zope when we tried to "update Catalog" after
  a meta table extension.

     The "update Catalog" apparently blocked ZEO for a sufficiently
     long time that the fontends were no longer responsive enough.

     Even a moderately large catalog seems to freeze even a Zope/ZEO cluster
     for a considerable time in "updateCatalog".

Dieter