[Zope-CMF] Are there scaling issues with the Catalog?

Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:48:02 +0100

On Thursday 29 Aug 2002 10:55 pm, Karl Anderson wrote:
> Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com> writes:
> > On Thursday 29 Aug 2002 7:30 pm, Karl Anderson wrote:
> > > Come to think of it, do you know what resource was being used up to
> > > make updating the catalog cause ZEO clients to freeze?
> >
> > ZEO 1 only processes one request at a time. small requests have to wa=
it
> > until it has finished processing one huge one.
>
> What, client B's request doesn't return until client A's request is
> done?  Yuck!
>
> I assume that it's the open transaction that blocks, not the request,
> so mounting the database from python and skipping the publisher won't
> help...

No, the blockages are smaller than that. This is 'request' at ZEO wire=20
protocol level, not http level.

I suggest you check out the plan for ZEO 2, which includes a good explana=
tion=20
of what needs fixing in ZEO 1.