[Zope-CMF] Finding size of portal

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
16 Dec 2002 14:01:08 -0500

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 13:30, Gitte Wange wrote:
> On Monday 16 December 2002 06:31 pm, Ivo van der Wijk wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 06:20:50PM +0100, Gitte Wange wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Is there anyone out there who have created a method that returns the size
> > > of a CMF Portal ? (The size in MB or something?)
> > > Or have any good ideas how I can create such a method ?
> >
> > You could use QuotaFolder for this. However, QuotaFolder currently doesn't
> > count FilesystemDirectoryViews correctly, so the numbers may not be
> > correct - we're working on this (actually, we're making QuotaFolder
> > completely CMF aware so it can even serve as a restricted Member folder)
> >
> > Also, it's impossible to get an exact size of zope objects (and their
> > properties, older versions, etc), but QuotaFolder gives you a picture of
> > the size of the content, and a way to restrict it.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > 	Ivo
>
> Thanks for your reply Ivo ...
>
> But I just came to think of 1 thing ... in order to use QuotaFolder for this
> wouldn't the portal object need to inherite from QuotaFolder ?

Gitte,

You could stash the "content object size" as a metadata schema column in
the catalog, and then compute the "size" of the portal (or any
subfolder) by querying the catalog and aggregating the attributes of the
brains objects.

You would, of course, need to write a skin method for "correctly"
computing the size, based on your policies.

Tres.