[Zope-CMF] Re: Easier maintenance than through management iface?

Andy McKay andy@agmweb.ca
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:48:11 -0800

> > it's all in portal_skins.  The skins tool is very powerful.
>
> Okay, this is the part I absolutely don't get. I thought that skins
> are "skins" i.e. the look that covers the functionality. Apparently
> though, skins is just about everything of the site - forms, actions,
> templates, styles, anything.
>
> What's the rationale here? Or do I just have a wrong definition of
> "skins"?

Yes. However no-one is really sure what the answer is, the term skin is the
wrong one.

> Also, why are all the files under skins on my distribution Filesystem
> objects -- files on my Hdd and not in ZopeDB? Sure, it makes sense,
> it's a demo site and I should modify copies of these files for my own
> site. But: where do I place these copies?

Use the ZMI to go through portal_skins and find the object. Click customise
and a copy appears in the custom folder.

They are on the filesystem because they can be easliy distributed and
updated without altering the ZODB.

> and I can't see a reason why here should be ui_slots. Or is it because
> we are doing slots when left_slots gets parsed.

Look at the portal_skins object and the properties on it, this is the search
order for an object and how a path is translated into an object.
--
  Andy McKay