[Zope-CMF] Changing ID of members folder, and related questions

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
22 Dec 2002 21:47:52 -0700

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 19:47, Bill Anderson wrote:
> Many moons ago, I inquired about the feasibility of using a member's
> folder named something other than Members. Well, I did it tonight, and
> with some modifications to MembershipTool.py, it worked (search/replace
> 'Members' with new id).
>
> So far, new members and everything works fine.
>
> It would be nice if there was a way to set the name of this folder in
> the UI, rather than have it be hard coded. it shouldn't be too hard
> Thoughts?
>
> Also, I am working on a new site I really would like to do in
> CMF/CMFPlone (or at least as a base).
>
> What I want to do is have three types of "members". No, roles will not
> work.
>
> What I want is for each type of "member" to have their own "members"
> folder. I want to duplicate, essentially,the membership tool for three
> different types of members. Hrmmm that doesn't sound too clear.
>
> [thinking aloud]
> Maybe I could modify the getHomeUrl and create folder methods to use a
> different "Members" folder based on a property of the members. Maybe a
> dictionary mapping like:
> { 'standard':'Members',
>   'organization':'Organizations',
>   'candidate':'Candidates'
> }

OK, I've been playing with this last idea, and have gotten it to mostly
work (hacking plone)

So far, the *only* problem I have left (with the quick hack version ;) )
is new members joining. I get a setMemberProperties error when clicking
submit.

Now, here is what I've done:
In memberdata_properties I added a field: membertype.
This membertype corresponds to the above dictionary.

I've added a field to the register page to indicate which membership
type.
Everything else works fine. The member search page (index_html in each
membership type folder) returns the correct home folder url. I can edit
preferences just fine. But registration is hosed. Unfortunately, I don't
get to see the traceback since this is in Plone, and it hides that from
me (I imagine there is a way to disable that for debugging??).

So, with a quick hack, I'm 90% of the way there. :^)

Ideas on why the above is broken would be appreciated. :)

Bill

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773