[Zope-CMF] CMF in CMF: my procedure

Gary Poster Gary Poster" <garyposter@earthlink.net
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:48:23 -0500

Hi.  So,  you have your main domain name pointed to a cmf instance, but you
want to be able to also access your top Zope root.  It depends on what you
need, but the safest route to go for all of the different virtual host
products, I think, is to create a subdomain for top-level access. You can do
this with all versions of the VHF as well as with any of the SiteAccess
tools.  Effectively, if your domain is mysite.com, I'm suggesting setting up
your virtual host rules so that root.mysite.com (or zoperoot.mysite.com or
admin.mysite.com, whatever you want) goes to your zope root.

In the VHF, each Host object usually represents one virtual root.  So
assuming you already have one Host object that maps anything.mysite.com to
your CMF instance, create a new host object that only maps admin.mysite.com
to your zope root.  Then move the new Host object higher in the order of
hosts, above the catch-all Host object, so that the VHF will check your new
admin host object before it checks the catch-all host object.  Done.

There are other circumstances in which you might need to access content
outside of the current virtual host tree: that is what the Alias object
allows (the Alias is new in this release).  It is a powerful, difficult,
glorious, hideous hack that allows you to insert a switch, as you said, to
seem to put content from elsewhere in the tree into the current host only.
With it, you could have a url of mysite.com/my_alias/content, in which
"my_alias" would put you in the zope root, or anywhere else you wanted to
be, and "content" would be looked for in that new location.  It can do all
kinds of weird and possibly wonderful things.  However, it involves tricky
acquisition issues, and it is a hack.  Be careful with it, and I do *not*
recommend planning on managing your Zope through it.  Use it wisely. :)

Hope that helps.

Gary

From: "James Johnson" <tacomabbs@hotmail.com>