[Zope-CMF] Why skinning?

Zope Newbie zope@idny.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:51:05 -0500

I'm confused by the concept of skinning a CMF site (that is, I'm confused that that's the
way it's done, not confused by the way it works)- it seems like this breaks the very well
thought out and elegant acquisition path inheritance that makes Zope what it is. It's
obvious that it's desirable to have multiple non-hierarchical inheritance, but skinning
seems clumsy by comparison, especially since it's "just another tool" and not some
massive exception to the rule.

Am I missing something? Is there an elegance here I don't see, or is it really just a hack?