[Zope-CMF] Actions and navbar items.

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:18:03 -0500

John Morton wrote:

> Is there any particular reason that various items in navbar at the top of
> each page (home, members, search et al) are in the main template rather than
> each being actions in the action tool?
>
> Is it just the case that no one has got around to making the change or is
> there a good reason not to treat the action tool as a general navigation
> bar/tool bar builder?

Until we added the ability to specify actions via tool configuration (post-
CMF 1.2, that is), there was no way to change what actions would be produced,
short of replacing tools. The "navbar" links have felt to me somewhat as
though they were in the domain of the designer, as well, and so I didn't
think too hard about it when Andrew was working on the through-the-web actions.

I think, now that you mention it, that this would be a fine use of the feature.
We could change the skin to display actions of a new category (e.g., 'navbar')
there, and then create the actions on the 'portal_actions' tool.  Note that
you are free to do this in your own sites right now, assuming that you are
running from the head checkout in CVS, rather than 1.2.

Tres