[Zope-CMF] Grouping objects into Projects for Review via CMF

Jud Dagnall jdagnall@sgi.com
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:06:20 -0800

Hello-

I've got a CMF newbie question and I hope someone can point me in the right
direction.

I'd like to be able to have an object (called a Project) that would have an
owner. This Project is collection of separate sub-objects (documentation,
warranty info, and/or files, for example). The Project itself also has some
meta-data. Each of the  sub-objects would have an author/owner, possibly
different from the Project owner.

I'd like to have separate workflows for each of the individual sub-objects,
as well as for the Project itself. For example, the Project manager is
responsible for submitting the Project for review when all the sub-items
have been reviewed. The documentation might go through a technical review
and a marketing review, the warranty info might go through a marketing
review and a legal review, and the file would go through a technical review.

I understand that by creating various DCWorkflows, I could handle the
sub-objects. However, I don't know how to approach the idea of a Project. My
first idea is that a Project should be a folder, but I quickly get stuck:

1. Can a folder have a workflow?
2. How would various authors create new objects in the Project folder
instead of their work area. (There could be multiple Projects running
concurrently)
3. If this is possible, how much work is realistically required to get this
system up and running? Or, perhaps less subjective question: what steps
would be required?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, particularly examples and/or how-tos
:)

Thanks,

Jud

--