[Zope-CMF] New CMF tool has bogus __roles__

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:21:45 +0000

"Dan L. Pierson" wrote:

> > Just an outsiders comment, I think you should be looking to improve the
> > CMF discussions tool rather than adding a postings_tool...
>
> I'll be talking about this in my presentation next week.  Maybe you'll
> be there to argue the point :-)

Sadly not, I can't make it to IPC 10 :-(
Maybe next year...

> In brief: Our main goal at this point was to store the postings in an SQL
> database while breaking as little other code as possible.

I gotta ask, why?

> I don't see
> how I could have met either of those requirements by working on the CMF
> discussions tool.

*shrugs* I can't see it being that hard to implement the discussions to to store
discussions in an SQL database. The Article might be more fun..

> IMHO, moving to an external storage changes things
> radically enough that a new tool was justified.

It shouldn't, but that's what I want to start badgering Jim about for ZODB4 ;-)

> Since we are trying to migrate Squishdot postings, there is no attempt at
> all to store CMF Documents in the SQL database.  I think that would
> actually be harder when you consider trying to maintain CMF metadata in
> an external storage in a way that might possibly stay in sync with the
> changing CMF.

*sigh* Yes, storage abstraction is not something that has really been considered
in the CMF :-(
Still curious why you want to get an SQL database involved, each to their own I
guess...

I'd love to be able to stuff all CMF content meaningfully in an Oracle database
to keep the corporates happy, but such is life :-S

cheers,

Chris