[Zope-CMF] Updating skins for a product at the FS level

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
02 Jul 2002 18:07:58 -0400

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 17:46, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On 02 Jul 2002 17:30:40 -0400
> Tres Seaver <tseaver@zope.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 16:43, J C Lawrence wrote:
> >> On 02 Jul 2002 14:59:45 -0400 Tres Seaver <tseaver@zope.com> wrote: >
> >> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 14:23, J C Lawrence wrote:
>
> > The price of success is having to support the past.  CMF was in
> > development long before Page Templates were widely available, and some
> > folks are still using it without them (ZopeZen, for instance, is / was
> > DTML-based).
>
> Gotcha.
>
> > Therefore, we have two sets of skins, one DTML-based and the other
> > (primarily) ZPT based.  The ZPT skins depend on some features of the
> > DTML skins (the Python scripts, for instance) and override others (the
> > actual views).
>
> Okay, what controls which is preferentially matched first?  Taking,
> again, CMFTopic as the sample, there's a topic_view.pt and a
> topic_view.dtml.  Are ZPT's always preferentially matched over same-name
> DTMLs?

Depends on the skin.  Each named skin is a "search path" through the
various skin folders.  In current CMF, the "Basic" skin is defined as:

  custom, zpt_topic, zpt_content, zpt_generic,zpt_control, topic,
  content, generic, control, Images

while the "Nouvelle" and "No CSS" skins have only DTML directories.

> This doesn't seem to be the case as stuff in the custom folder overrides
> both.
>
> > For learning, I would focus on the ZPT versions, and look at the DTML
> > side only for reference.
>
> <nod>
>
> Suggestion on which docs/HWTOs etc to start with on ZPT?

I think recent web editions of the Zope Book do pretty well with
ZPT.

Tres.