[Zope-CMF] CMF Usability

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
12 Jul 2002 10:26:43 -0400

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 18:09, alan runyan wrote:

> Yes.  Usability is something often overlooked and undervalued.
>
> > If I were surprised, though, it would be in a good way, and I might be
> > able to help. I'm a usability professional (background at Apple and
> > frogdesign, roles including User Experience Lead and Creative Director)
> > as well as a programmer. I'm doing my own informal
> > ask-the-girlfriend-to-try-it user testing on my budding, inherited
> > Plone site, beastbay.com. Warning: not for those who hate or fear
> > spiritual alternatives.
>
> very cool.  I have not looked at it but I would like to stop and say one
> thing.  If you want to participate and influence the 'usability'
> experience of Plone -- join the plone-developers mailing list (find it
> from sourceforge) and interact with the Plone team. NOTE: I am having some
> personal things I'm sorting out right now and will not be 'online' for a
> few more days.
> > It's a lot of work as well as a lot of fun. I would like to see a more
> > usable basic platform on which to craft, as well as better containment
> > of the usability work to the ZPT layer rather than python code. For
> > instance, CMF1.3-beta1 uses an "unauthorized" routine apparently from
> > CookieCrumbler which redirects to a login dialog even for logged-in
> > users, when users should be seeing a permission error dialog. My users
> > are confused by this, and not just my gf -- I get letters about it.
> > (The redirect also makes my own debugging of permission problems tricky
> > because of lack of traceback, which is less of a usability issue.)
> > Changing this from an external product is tricky and requires more
> > intricate python than I want to deal with when my designer hat is on.
> > Similarly, simply getting some sensible
>
> The redirects of CookieCrumbler are horrible.  I'm sure if it were
> explained *how* things *should* act -- we could probably get it to work
> in a sensible way.
>
> > workflow-state-related buttons to appear in editing forms, without
> > expecting ordinary end users to grok the Publishing tab, is proving to
> > be a pretty sticky python job. The ID field should be subordinate to
> > Title, and named and explained better. Forms should have optional
> > front-line JavaScript validation. Structured text shouldn't override
> > ordinary punctuation. Etc.
>
> This is all very specific to your user needs.  I would suggest tracking
> Plone CVS.  There is alot of stuff in there that will make your life
> hopefully much easier.  Talking on the plone-developers list may
> alleviate some pain but ultimately your python hat will need to be put on.
>
> > I'm not trying to put down anyone's work. I just have high design
> > standards. I'm finding dozens of usability issues like the above, and
> > that's not counting writing and language issues, which are also
> > endemic. I shouldn't have to track down and replace every message.
>
> if you do not coordinate with the CMF/Plone developers in a constructive
> [...]

I will second Alan here;  I value *tangible* feedback enormously, where
my ranking scale goes something like this:

  - Working patch against current CVS, +10

  - Submitted to the collector, +5

  - clear recipe to reproduce the problem, +5

  - access to a site which demonstrates the problem, +3

Note that some things may be "de gustibus non est disputandum", which
means that they *belong* in skin customizations:  "chaqu'un a son
gout".  To some extent, this is the genesis of Plone as a separate
project:  Alan, Sidney, Alex, et al. had a vision for a type of site,
based on CMF, and implemented it as an add on, rather than lobbying me
to agree with and check in the hundreds of stylistic / design-level
choices they made;  I *applaud* this strategy.

I will probably finalize the 1.3 release of the CMF next week;  until
that point, I consider the software in "feature freeze", and only want
to be checking in "showstopper" fixes to the 1.3 branch.  After release,
I would be delighted to entertain the kinds of fixes you describe.
Perhaps the best strategy would be to get you CVS contributor access,
and have you work on a "tmaroney-annoyingly_picky-branch" :), where we
could all try out your changes, and then merge them if we can reach
consensus.  Interested?

Tres.