[Zope-CMF] CMF Usability

David (Hamish) Harvey david.harvey@bristol.ac.uk
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 11:45:54 +0100

--On Sunday, July 14, 2002 11:26:41 +0200 Magnus Heino
<magnus.heino@pleon.sigma.se> wrote:

>>> Why?
>>

>> Things like popup windows, pop-under frames and all other manner of
>> spammish things, not to mention the virus/trojan uses of the same :-(
>

> It's not possible to control these things with IE? Ok, then it's me being
> too used to Mozilla and Konqueror...

It might be - but how many IE users (or Mozilla on Windows, probably) are
going to delve through all the forms and understand them, when their friend
has told them that switching of Java and JavaScript does the job. Besides,
I don't think IE has a "Enable trojans? yes/no" selection in the setup :-)

> It is possible to improve usabillity a lot by using javascript though...

Agreed - usability. So long as the functionality isn't compromised when JS
is off.

Talking of unusability - I've found a few sites recently that use *java
applets* to display simple text link buttons in a page. Anyone know what
possible benefit this has? They start up kinda slow in Knoqueror, and
irritate the hell out of me!

Cheers,
Hamish