[Zope-CMF] Workflowable folders?

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:02:03 -0700

On Sunday, July 14, 2002, at 02:27  AM, zope-cmf-request@zope.org wrote:

> Message: 11
> Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 10:18:21 +0100
> From: Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com>
> To: Florent Guillaume <fg@nuxeo.com>
> CC: zope-cmf@zope.org
> Subject: Re: [Zope-CMF] Workflowable folders?
>
> Florent Guillaume wrote:
>>
>> Actually I believe the default Folder should be CMFCatalogAware (which
>> implies workflow aware), simply it shouldn't have a workflow in the
>> Workflow Tool. It's very common to want to look for Folders in the
>> catalog.
>
> That seems like a good idea. What needs to change for things to be
> like that?
>
> cheers,
>
> Chris

Not sure if the reasoning is the same, but I have both catalog
aware and non-catalog aware folders in my implementations. I find
that I need _both_ types to solve different problems. The other
thing I've been adding now as part of my default install for
folders is giving users the ability to restrict content types from
the _normal_ interface instead of the ZMI.

The underlying theme is moving lower level management tasks out of
the Management Interface (ZMI).

Having said that, I have not run into a situation _yet_ where I
need a folder to be governed by workflow. I'm sure it will come up,
just don't know when.

My sense is.. the standard PortalFolder product is fine as it is.
It works as a _container_ base class that can be extended by
developers who want other functionality. I would prefer that it
remains this way since having the default PortalFolder be catalog
aware and governed by workflow would mean that that functionality
would need to be stripped from the product when all you want is a
simple folder.

Now if _another_ folder type that has these features is added to
the standard distribution - much like News is an extension of the
Document product - ...

~C

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution Consulting        |   "Ahhhh the power of
cer@sol43.com                              |    acquisition"  - Chef Z