[Zope-CMF] Newbie observation: CMF-site default skins

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:28:13 +0000 (UTC)

alan runyan <runyaga@runyaga.com> wrote:
> > The problem is, who is going to bust a gut doucmenting a product that is
> > evolving as fast as CMF?  Any work risks quick obsolescence.  And CMF
> > needs to do an awful lot of evolving so the problem won't go away.  In
> > effect, we get it for free but pay for it with time - in my case I've
> > more time than money so that's OK ;-)
>
> Patrick,
> I think this is a bit premature to say this.  Most of the basic ideas in CMF
> are going to stay the same.  This mentality
> has kept documentation to a minimal.  Sure things evolve but documentation
> too much also evolve.  And we are not
> talking about humongous changes in CMF from version to version.  mainly bug
> fixes and some tweaks here and there
> to how things work.  but ActionsTool,MetadataTool,MembershipTool all the
> CMFCore objects are very stable
> and will not 'signficiantly' go through any sort of radical change.
>
> The idea that evolution is enormous API changes is FUD.  I too use to think
> ZOPE changed at some exponential rate, but it really doesnt.
> and documentation doesnt have to change *that* terribly much from release to
> release.  Much of the core is solid and doesnt change.
> It *is* true that features are added almost daily.  The perception and
> propagation of this 'it evolves to fast to document' is a self-fulfilling
> prophecy that has made lots of documentors fear the ZOPE evolution path.
>
> If you want to document things. Start with CMFCore, I promise you things
> wont change significantly there.

Note that the interfaces/ directory contains interfaces, which are in
themseleves a good start for documentation. Not sure all of them have
been correctly kept in sync though.

Florent