[Zope-CMF] Metadata tool not used?

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
24 Jul 2002 09:55:46 -0400

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 01:29, Chris Withers wrote:
> > > - the metadata forms are all hard-coded so that if you add new elements,
> or
> > > change the type of the ones there, the news elements aren't available
> for
> > > editing.
> >
> > Skins are *supposed* to be customized!
>
> Yeah, but it seeems counterintuitive that when you add a metadata element
> using the metadata tool, it doesn't automatically appear on that form.
>
> Would anyone else agree?

The existing metadata forms (two of them!) are designed for entry of the
standard DublinCore metadata;  adding arbitrary elements to them is
likely to make them harder to use, as well as confusing.

I have found that generated UIs (e.g. Zope's propertysheets) are often
unsatisfactory, compared to hand-rolled ones.  I would entertain adding
an additional template (e.g., 'gen_metadata_edit_form') which site
managers could opt to use in place of the stock forms, but I wouldn't
want to replace the existing ones by default.

Tres.