[Zope-CMF] Q) About development process for python based product

Romain Slootmaekers romain@zzict.com
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 00:21:00 +0200

Jeffrey Franks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I very familiar with c++ development process: edit, compile, run, debug
>
> It seems that Zope CMF python based product development is much more complicated.

actually, programming python is way easier than programming c++.

you have good language support for things that you do often, like
iterating over some data structure.

you don't need to compile, and mostly you don't have to restart your
applications.

> Can someone explain the process?
if you know your way around the python alley, start reading this thingy

http://www.zope.org/Members/eenge/CMFBoringContent

and basically take it from there.

-> also learn how to debug Zope stuff from inside the IDE,
instead of just cucu-debugging your stuff.
(use a good IDE, like komodo and try
http://www.zope.org/Members/andym/KomodoDebugging
)

BTW,The IDE will also help you with SCCS stuff.

-> set your products to 'auto-refresh' while developing, so you don't
need to restart your product all the time.

-> build test cases for automated testing. Personally, I hate to
manually go through some test scenario clicking all over the place a
zillion times a day,
I just code the test scenario, and that takes 1 hour of coding , and 1
click/test-run.

If you have good software development skills, you'll be able to
get the hang of it within a day or so.

remember one thing : "software development is the art of being lazy".
if you do something 20000 time a day, you have to think "I'm too bright,
and they pay me too much money for me to do this stupid stuff, there has
to be a better way"

have fun,

Sloot.