[Zope-CMF] Q: CMF, Plone for a new Intranet

David (Hamish) Harvey david.harvey@bristol.ac.uk
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 10:34:30 +0100

--On Wednesday, June 05, 2002 13:15:49 -0700 Steve Arnold
<sarnold@arnolds.dhs.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 09:27, Simon Brun wrote:
>> - Every worker should upload his documents in the matching directory
>> (there is no reviewer). Does this need a lot of scripting?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by that first part.  In CMF, all content is
> owned by the user who created it.  It's not visible to other users until
> it gets "published" (see the basic CMF workflow stuff).  Normally,
> content resides in the home folder of the owner (or a sub-folder) but
> certain types of content are automatically cataloged and appear in
> special places (like News or the Calendar) depending on their type.  You
> can create your own content types (even based on M$ office file formats)
> and your own workflows too.

It shouldn't need too much scripting. To rephrase the question, what you
want is for any site user to be able to go to the directory where their
content should be, and create the content there, rather than creating it in
their "my stuff", or home directory? Given appropriate permissions, Members
should be able to create content anywhere in the site - it's just that the
standard setup assumes they will create it in their own space. I think some
combination of local roles and permissions on the directory should be able
to achieve this - at its simplest, if all of your users should be allowed
to create content anywhere, then just make sure that the role "Member" has
the appropriate "Add ..." permissions on the folders. "List folder
contents" and "Access contents information" might be required too, but I've
yet to work out exactly how they interact.

Bear in mind, though, that a lot of the organisation that would normally be
done directly using a directory structure can be done using the catalogue
in CMF. For example, news items can be created anywhere, but the catalogue
enables a list of the latest new to be prepared. Hence the normal
behaviour, mentioned by Steve.

As for not needing a reviewer: this happens in the portal_workflow tool:
you need a workflow, I'd guess, with only the "published" state. Start by
adding a new workflow in the "contents" tab of the workflow tool - use
default, revision 2. Delete all of the states except published, and set
published to be the default state. Remove all transitions. Go back to the
main tab on the workflows tool and set your new workflow to be the default.
My DCWorkflow appears to be broken for some reason so I can't test this.

Cheers,
Hamish

--
David Harvey (aka Hamish)