[Zope-CMF] RAM Cache and CMF objects?

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
22 Mar 2002 12:22:25 -0500

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 09:00, seb bacon wrote:
> > I can't imagine ever wanting to use RAM caching for full pages;  you
> > are "robbing Peter to pay Paul" there, inevitably.  Instead, we are
> > focusing heavily on improving our interactions with external HTTP
> > servers (notably Squid).
>
> True, but RAM caching is still useful where pages which use expensive
> operations must always be served fresh.  Do you folks see this
> requirement as important, or do you think it can always be avoided with
> a combination of efficient code and HTTP caching?

Just for context: the original discussion (back in Decembr) involved
figuring out which manager to use to cache pages rendered by
filesystem-based skins.

I can see a need for the kind of caching you describe, but it is *not*
"page caching";  the RAM-based cache is fine for such items, but you
will want to construct the key for the cache based on other parameters
(e.g., the catalog query).

Caching "fully-rendered" pages in a RAM cache blocks your opportunities
to scale the application, I think.

Tres.