[Zope-CMF] Problems with virtual hosting and CMF 1.2

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:06:47 -0500

Alastair Burt wrote:

> When I use CMF 1.2 to set up a site fronted by Apache, I have serious
> problems.  My Apache rewrite rules and Zope's SiteRoot (or
> VirtualHostMonster) seem to be doing the right thing: the public URL's get
> redirected to my Zope host and all the links on the web pages have the
> correct public form, but I can do very little with the site. When I log in
> from the main page, I am presented with a "login success" page. Clicking on
> any link from there, however, leads me to pages where the link to login is
> still there, i.e. I do not really seem to be logged in and clicking on the
> roster link, for example, just repeats the fruitless login process over
> again. I have no problem using the site with non-virtual URL's. Can anyone
> explain, what might be going wrong?
>
> My search through the mailing list archives did not turn up anything
> useful, which suprised me slightly. I would have thought that many people
> would be using Apache in front of CMF 1.2. I do not know what could be
> special about my case.

Alastair,

We know of a problem with certain versions of Apache stripping
cookies when proxying for Zope:

   http://collector.zope.org/Zope/267

Here is notification about the bug from ApacheWeek:

   Proxy users thinking of upgrading to Apache 1.3.23 should be aware
   that there is a bug ([5]PR#9655) in the handling of responses which
   set more than one cookie, and may wish to wait for the 1.3.24
   release before upgrading.

The workaround seems to be to change the name of the cookie used
by the CookieCrumbler from '__ac' to some other string.

Tres.