[Zope-CMF] newbie looking to buy a clue

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 09:16:39 -0700

Alan,

Welcome to the learning curve. The comments from Douglas were good,
and were helpful to me as I began the journey. I'd agree with the
stance on ZPT, but I'm not positive I'd start there.

If you're coming from a Perl idiom where you use print blocks in
your cgi to render HTML, then you might find dtml an easier first
step. The documentation for dtml is a little easier to find and
more prevalent as a result. However, if you have the time I would
recommend using page templates as you base rendering form. I've
recently converted, and found them to be much easier to use when
working with clients and their staff. You'll still need dtml for
non-structured things like email though.

If your working on an intranet, you might be interested in the
presentation/demonstration my partner and I did at python 10. Some
have found it useful when building the framework for their site.

   http://smoking-gnomes.org/python_10 (presentation)

   http://smoking-gnomes.org/intranet (demonstration)

I've also found zopelabs VERY helpful when trying to figure out
syntax and so on.

Good luck and welcome

~C

On Thursday, May 30, 2002, at 09:00  AM, zope-cmf-request@zope.org
wrote:

> Message: 12
> Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 08:50:31 -0500
> To: zope-cmf@zope.org
> From: "Alan W. Presley" <awpresley@hbu.edu>
> Subject: [Zope-CMF] newbie looking to buy a clue
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> yes, i am a newbie to Zope and have been requested by my boss to figure
> out how to impliment Zope-CMF in our intranet.
>
> Sound familiar?
>
> I have been reading the Zope site and the CMF Dogbowl site and I
> am still
> looking to find the best place to START learning this beast.
> unfortunately what I'm finding is placing me in the middle of
> articles and
> tutorials that are assuming that I know previously covered information.
>
> Is there a START HERE place that anyone can recommend?
>
> and why is there not a place to send comments and questions to the
> developers/webmasters of CMF Dogbowl and/or Zope.org?
>
> I have discovered a problem with the CSS for CMF Dogbowl  and
> can't find
> out who I should contact.
>

> Anyway, help a newbie out here and set me straight.
>
> Thanks,
> Al

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution Consulting        |   "Ahhhh the power of
cer@sol43.com                              |    acquisition"  - Chef Z