[Zope-CMF] Skin Folders and Performance

alan runyan alan runyan" <runyaga@runyaga.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:22:37 -0600

> I believe there was some discussion in the group about this before, but
> I can't find the thread right now.

yes

> Looking at Plone and other CMF products we know that everyone adds
> skins or in some cases skin hierarchy's to the portal_skins properties.
> My question.. are there demonstrated performance issues associated with
> having deep 'Layers' for skins?

no

> Intuitively it would seem that having to traverse all of the folders to
> pick a template would have some cost. Not sure if it is relevant.

not relevant

> I've thought about lessening the number of skin folders, and copying
> product skins into these 'super skin' folders instead of merely
> registering the skins and skin folders for each product.

try it

> Anyone care to weigh in, and/or point me to the thread that discussed
> this?

dont have time.

wanna measure performance?  very simple.  make something unique
like yummagumma.pt and let it use a macro defined in its folder.
then use a macro that is at the end of the skinpath.  benchmark them.
Acquistion looked up is done in C its very fast.  I believe what you will
find lacking in speed is:

- ZPT
- portal_actions.listFilteredActionsFor()
- traversing manually to something instead of using catalog

if you do benchmarking test in -t 1 (one thread)

cheers,
~runyaga