[Zope-CMF] Some questions regarding 'portal_actions'

Yuppie schubbe@web.de
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:56:38 +0100

Hi Jean!

> Ah, OK, I understand. So the Actions tool provides all the actions
> that aren't provided by one of the other providers. In practice, it
> seems like it provides navigation-related actions (list folder contents,
> go to Welcome/News/Search page), but also a Workflow action, and
> Cut/Copy/Paste/Delete actions. It seems to me that there are tools
> where these actions fit better than mixed together on the
> 'portal_actions' tool, eg. 'portal_navigation' and 'portal_workflow'.

CMFCore and CMFDefault don't have a portal_navigation tool. By default
the Actions Tool only has 'Folder contents' actions.

> 'portal_workflow' is listed as an action provider, and it has no
> Actions tab.

portal_workflow is a problem on its own. The CMFCore Workflow Tool has a
very minimal ZMI interface. But many people think it should be replaced
by DCWorkflow, so it could be waste of time to improve it.

If you are talking about DCWorkflow: It has its own tabs to configure
actions and doesn't use the default 'Actions' tab.

>> The 'Actions' tab of a specific type configures actions specific to
>
>  > this type.
>
> But they aren't listed as action providers. It looks like types are
> implicitly picked up as action providers, although this is not
> apparent from the ZMI.

The types aren't action providers. portal_types is the action provider
and manages the actions for all the types.

>> The 'Actions Tool' has an 'Action Providers' tab to configure the
>> optional used 'Action Providers'.
>

> Yes, exactly. I'm saying that the information on this tab is
> inconsistent with the text of the Overview.
>
>> There could be a note that types_tool is not an optional 'Action
>> Provider' and there for is not mentioned on the 'Action Providers' tab.
>

> Then why is it mentioned on .../portal_actions/manage_overview
> and why does it have an Actions tab?

You did get me wrong. types_tool is not optional because you can't
remove it.

>>> Should I file a Collector issue on this?
>>

>> Don't know. There are more important things to fix.
>

> Well, if this is regarded as unimportant, it's only more likely that
> it will be forgotten :/

The point is: There are already many ideas lying around. What we need
are people doing the job. If you file issues like that, its unlikely
anybody will resolve them.

> Actually, I think it's quite related to the (sorely needed) tidying
> work that you're doing, regarding the structure of the CMF modules
> as a whole. You're reorganizing the source code, and I'm proposing
> that the UI and configuration also get some attention.

But if you care about Actions, go ahead! Write proposals, write help
files, get involved.

Cheers,
Yuppie

BTW: Please have a look at the time setting of your computer. You are
one day behind the rest of the world ;-)