[Zope-CMF] DCWorkflow Worklists are very expensive

John Morton jwm@plain.co.nz
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:03:11 +1200

On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 04:52, Robert Rottermann wrote:
> Debugging  trough a plane site I have the impression that the construction
> of a DCWorkflow-worklist is performed as often as there are action
> providers tough it makes sense (I *think*) only for the portal workflow.
>
> Is this so?
> If yes why ?? or should I file it in the Collector?

Every time a worklist action is rendered, it must do a catalog query to find
out if any there are any objects in that state, and how many. This, as Shane
has noted in the past,  is kinda expensive :-)

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few potential solutions. One is to
tune up your catalog. Another is to change the worklists to just indicate
whether there are or are not any items in the worklist, using a catalog query
that stops on the first item found. I think this is theoretically possible,
but I don't know enough about the catalog to know for sure.

Another solution is to create a new action catagory called something like
'memberarea', which is only included if you are viewing pages under your own
personal memberarea, and have the worklist actions appear under that.

John