[Zope-CMF] Plone/Metadata/FUD

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 05:11:09 +0200

On mercredi, oct 2, 2002, at 03:09 Europe/Paris, hazmat wrote:

[snip]
> these aren't forks they are progressively layerd systems that build
> functionality that users and developers can avail themselves of. ie
> Zope->CMFCore->CMFDefault->Plone.

This point about layering is very important.

> also i'd like to note that this conversation has been mostly civil
> (with one
> noteable exception), of which i'm glad, please lets keep it that way.

Well said, Kapil, the voice of moderation! :^)

Here's my two eurocents on the Plone/CMF discussion.

a. Zope is a framework for web applications and CMF is a framework for
content management.  Neither claim nor aim to be end-user products.
Plone does, and should thus have its own identity.  This is even more
important for Zope 3.

b. IMO, Plone is as much a fork of CMF as CMF is a fork of Zope.
Stated differently, Plone is as incompatible with the CMF as the CMF is
incompatible with Zope.

c. I've spent a lot of time with Alex and Alan (in person, on the
phone, in IRC, email, etc.) and I don't think they are misleading
anyone.  Others might have better evidence or different
interpretations, so understand I'm just giving a personal opinion.

Plone is an actively developed end-user product built on the CMF.  This
is a good thing.  It's also free, as in beer and speech.  Also a good
thing.  There is already one for-fee packaging of Plone, and hopefully
more to follow.  More good things.

A recently-recommended book says "[m]ost conflicts are based in
differing interpretations of the facts."  We should step back from
heavy artillery and find out how the situation can be improved for all
our viewpoints.

--Paul