[Zope-CMF] Re: cmf 1.4 planning - CMFTypes

Yuppie schubbe@web.de
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 14:48:46 +0200

Hi!

I had a closer look at CMFTypes. And now I've got a lot of questions
about integrating it into CMF:

Basic features: (hope this classification makes sense)

alan runyan wrote:
> CMFTypes is infrastructure.  the "forms" it generates are pluggable(maybe
> not
> now but could easily be made).  currently it creates Plone forms.  but we
> are
> missing out on the point.  You dont have to create portal_types anymore by
> subclassing PortalContent and this or that.
> You subclass BaseContent or BaseFolder and add your methods.  you can
> define a Type Descriptor and with this the framework can generate forms/edit
> scripts.  based on the type descriptor.
> [...]
> Autogenerates FTI.

I hate redundant code. So I like the idea. But this framework doesn't
just help creating classes. It seems to have a full template generator
and form validator. (The validator depends on plone? formulator?)

Is it the Right Thing to generate templates from templates? How would
you customize the skin? Changing CMFTypes templates or the generated
PageTemplates?

Is it the Right Thing that CMFTypes has its own form validation machinery?

Extra features:

alan runyan wrote:
> But it has tons more useful infrastructure.
> such as a UID for all the content objects.  You can reference other objects
> by
> UID.
> [...]
> having extensible metadata.
> [...]
> oh yeah I forgot.. the fact that you can upload Rich content objects (like
> MSWord)
> and have a content_driver manipulate teh data and suck it into yoru content
> object.  holy jeebus its great fun.

Should the CMF implement a Unique Content ID? Does this reflect the
discussion about Unique Object Ids?
http://www.zope.org//Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/ExplicitObjectReferences

There was a lot of discussion about extending metadata. Is this a better
solution than the 'flexible metadata patch' or other approaches?

content_driver depends on win32 extensions
<http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html>
or wvWare installer
<http://download.sourceforge.net/wvware/> .
Is this a Good Thing?

Are there other important features I don't know about?

General Questions:

I don't know zope3. Are the concepts of CMFTypes future compatible?

Did someone talk to the authors of CMFTypes? Do they want to help
getting this into CMF 1.4? At least they have to give permission to
relicense the contributed code under ZPL, right?

TIA,
Yuppie